Monday, January 31, 2011

Great eating habits for kids in a bite size magazine

Print

20 degrees for the 5th day in a row. Snow piled so high, I haven’t seen my garbage cans in days. The static from my hair could recharge my electric supply for a week..;)


But honestly, the hardest part of the long haul of winter is finding activities to keep the kiddos off the tube and video games.

Confession: I am not an activities mom. In fact I really suck at it. I am great in the summer. Take walks, go to the park, the beach, hopscotch you name it. I can do lots with the kids. But winter comes and I find that our weekends are like a giant hamster wheel of boredom and inactivity.

Beyond the occasional project due for school or a 2-hour run of play doh (yeah, my son is obsessed) I really stink at keeping them busy. I’m just not the mom that makes sock puppets and towers out of pipe cleaners. Ironic as I have a Bachelors Degree in Art

I have found though that they do equally have an interest in “helping” me cook. And messy as it is, it keeps them occupied, gives me time with them and out of my husband’s hair for a while. Most importantly, it’s teaching them two important life lessons. Nutrition and how to cook.

I will never forget my first roommate in college. She called home in a panic because she didn’t know how to make a can soup. (not you Rosie, the other first roommate of whom we do not speak) lol..



I recently stumbled upon this new magazine for Kids/Families. Want to get your kids moving, reading and cooking this winter?

Check this out. It might help motivate you and keep your kids eyes from falling out from the same princess movie for the 10th time.

Chop Chop Magazine

Want more reasons to get your kids on a healthier eating track? Check out this TED video just posted on my LEARN page.

No comments:

Post a Comment