Saturday, August 27, 2011

Hurricane Irene: My poor eggs!!

Print
Well, we have done all we can. The yard is tied down, free of flying grills and picnic tables (we hope). We have plenty of water, flashlights, batteries. The list goes on and on. Rick has enough water to survive a nuclear invasion now that I think of it.

I was just about to settle in on the cozy couch and wait the night out like the rest of the East coast, when baby girl declares she is hungry and wants a waffle. Umm, you had 3 for breakfast. I think we need to add some color to your day.. Before I groan and moan, as I just sat down, I realized it was actually lunch time. Ok, fair enough.

Of course, this brings me to my fridge. As I started to dig for lunch ideas, I got a bit distracted and started to shift my food around. I pulled out any food that needed to be thrown out anyway and started noting food we should probably eat sooner rather than later, in case the power does go. "At risk" I like to call it.
I threw things like cheese, milk, bread, in the freezer. These will keep for later in the week, depending on  need and severity of the outages.

MOM!!! oh yeah, she's still hungry..

But what to do about the eggs? I'm a bit over cupcakes and whoopie pies at the moment. What can I make with all these egsg?  OOH, quiche.

Simplest recipe ever. Eggs, cream, pie shell, and left overs. In my case, broccoli and some of that cheddar I just put in the freezer. Back out you go little orange man.


If you have left overs like this, go for it. Now is the time, before the storm digs in, and even if we don't lose power, who wants to cook? I am sure you will be up late tonight too.

Karma Quiche

Ingredients

  • 4 eggs (or eggs substitute)
  • 1 cup cream (preferably heavy, but whole milk or even a low fat version of fat free evaporated milk works) 
  • 1 frozen pie shell 
  • 1 cup chopped left over broccoli (bacon, potatoes, or mixed veggies also works)
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 small to medium onion minced (1 teaspoon onion powder works too)


Method

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • Crack and mix the eggs, cream and salt and pepper, cheese and onions to a bowl
  • Mix well until all is incorporated
  • Line bottom of pie shell with broccoli or left over of choice
  • Pour the egg mixture into shell
  • Carefully place in center rack of oven and bake for 45 mins or until the top is lightly brown and a toothpick comes out clean from center when tested.


Enjoy and good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment