Sunday, November 21, 2010

Holiday Cookies WK3- Angeletti Cookies

Print



How far back can you remember as a kid? I have a weird memory from when I was 2 and met my first childhood friend. Happy to report that 34 years later, we are still connected on FB.

I can remember a few things from preschool, some family memories during that time. Basically a bunch of wonderful vignettes until I was about 6 or 7. Oddly, these cookies are also on my early memories list.

Can't even tell you why, it's not like they were a family favorite. In fact, any one who knows my mom, knows that from 1975 until 1999 or so, my mom all but blew up our oven when she tried to bake. PS. she's always been a great cook, but baking... well there was one time , never mind, I digress.
Mom has since had a baking epiphany and is now a great baker...

The memory is really bizarre too. I remember being at some church reception in the country. I think it was a shower.. It's almost like the beginning of a bad 1970s crazy movie. Anyway, I had these cookies and they rocked.

Even today as I pulled the ingredients together, baked and set them out for their shoot, not only was my mouth watering, but Jake all but climbed on to the table to get one. Not fun when I am trying to keep steady to shoot. My husband, literally stopped the sentence he was in the middle of, and his eyes grew wide when he saw them..

I shoot, and hand them out.. Soft, and sweet. A little like a scone, but then the sugary double bourbon vanilla glaze hits you.. Ooey, gooey.. Ummm.. Heaven.

Baby Girl didn't get to try any.. I only made a few for the shoot and froze the rest. Hey, her fault for taking a marathon nap. Man eat Man in this house. Better she learns young.

Really easy, really quick. Enjoy.

Angeletti


Makes 36 cookiesHands-On Time: 30m Total Time: 1hr 00m


Ingredients

  • 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for rolling the dough
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

  • Glaze:
  • 1 1/3 cups confectioners’ sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
  • 2 tablespoons multicolor nonpareil sprinkles, for decoration (optional)

Directions

  1. Heat oven to 375° F.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the butter, granulated sugar, vanilla, and eggs until blended. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt and mix until just combined (do not overmix).
* You can wrap in cling wrap and freeze until ready at this point, or continue and bake.

  1. With floured hands, roll level tablespoonfuls of the dough into balls and place on parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart. Bake until puffed and the bottoms are pale golden, 7 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
  2. Make the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar, 2 tablespoons water, and the vanilla until the mixture forms a thick but pourable glaze (add more water if necessary).
  3. Dip the top of each cookie into the glaze and let set, rounded side up, on a rack set over a piece of parchment paper. Sprinkle with non-pareils, if using. Allow the glaze to set, about 20 minutes. Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment