Monday, November 8, 2010

Fast Breakfast on a Cold Day.-Oatmeal with a twist!

Print

Want something super easy, super healthy and warm on these chilly winter mornings? Try oatmeal.

Yeah, yeah, I know, mornings suck. But even with my fire drill mornings, to shower, get 3 people motivated to get out of bed, sock chasing and train catching marathons, I still know breakfast is the most important meal. 
Last Christmas, while shopping, I found this tiny $5.00- 5 cup crock pot at Walmart (yes, I can break away from Target..). I couldn't resist. It was the foodie version of a woman finding a pair of Jimmy Choo pumps for $5.00. Even if they are a size too small, she's buying them. Just out of principal.

Anyway, this thing rocks! I've made rice, oatmeal, chili, this list goes on.

So, I toss all my ingredient in right before bed and turn it on. When I get up, yummy, thick, fragrant oatmeal, ready to scoop and go.. Pennies on the dollar compared to the store and healthier cause you can control the sugar.

Here's a great boost that I discovered. Lemon Zest. Just a hint goes a long way and adds this incredible taste to the oatmeal.

Try it one morning and let me know how it works for you.

Prep: 5 mins
Cook Time: Overnight.

Ingredients:
  • Steel Cut or Instant Rolled Oats. Plain.
    • (I prefer steel cut to rolled as they are not as mushy, have a bit more fiber and have a lower glycemic index than instant, which causes a lesser spike in blood sugar.
  • Cinnamon to taste
  • Brown Sugar to taste
  • Pinch of lemon zest
  • Milk ( quantity will depend on manufacturer's instructions) 
  • Pinch of kosher salt
  • Pam cooking spray
  • Optional ingredients:  Apples (raw), Rasins, Almonds, Chocolate Chips.. anything you want basically.
Directions
  • Spray entire inside of pot with cooking spray. This prevents any oatmeal from sticking to sides.
  • Select serving size on back of Oats package.
  • Follow manufacturer's instructions for oats, milk and salt. Add about 1/4 more milk then directions stay
  • Cinnamon to taste. If including fruit, add it in the beginning. If including sugar, add it when cooked.
  • Stir
  • Turn crock pot on low for 8-9 hours. 

Enjoy.
Thumbs up from Jake and Charlotte.






No comments:

Post a Comment